- 1. Why choose Natural Stone?
- Natural Stone flooring is beautiful and will add a stunning feature to any home. Stone is the only material that improves with age, it lasts a lifetime and its natural variation adds character. It is hardwearing, very practical and gains its own patina over time. It is worth investing in natural stone as it lasts for years and will enhance the value of your home.
- 2. Where can I use stone?
- Stone is one of the most versatile natural products in the world. Whether you choose marble, limestone or travertine, it can be installed in a variety of ways to create a stylish look tailored to suit anyone’s taste and budget.
- 3. Who installs my tiles?
- BARMAT does not install natural stone tiles. However, we can provide a list of specialist companies who specialize in installing natural stone and have done so for previous BARMAT customers.
- 4. How long will my stone floor last?
- Natural stone is the only floor covering that improves with age! As the floor is walked on it develops its own unique patina and beautiful sheen.
- 5. Is stone flooring more expensive than other types of flooring?
- It is worth investing in a natural stone floor, as it will last much longer than carpet or laminate. The initial outlay for a top range natural stone floor may be slightly more but it is very cost effective in the long run because of the longevity of the material. Once laid, it will be there to be enjoyed for many years.
- 6. Will a natural stone floor add value to my house?
- Yes, many estate agents agree that investing in this luxurious and long lasting natural high specification material will reflect in the asking price of your property.
- 7. Why are some stones more expensive than others?
- The price of the stone depends on several factors, including where the stone comes from, how unique the source or color is, and how hard it is to cut and make into tiles. The more expensive stones tend to be very rare or have special characteristics.
- 8. Do your prices include VAT?
- Yes all prices on our website include VAT.
- 9. Do your prices include delivery?
- No, our prices do not include delivery charges. Standard delivery within Portugal is charged 70,00€ per pallet including VAT. We are also able to ship international (ask for a quote).
- 10. What is the lead time from ordering?
- There is generally a 3-4 working day lead time. If the goods are out of stock, lead times will vary but are generally between 2-8 weeks. We cannot guarantee a date for out of stock items, due to reasons beyond our control.
- 11. Can you reserve stock?
- No, we are unable to reserve stock without full payment. Once payment is made and the order confirmed, we can hold stock for up to 4 weeks from ordering
- 12. Can you guarantee a color?
- As all of our stone is completely natural, we cannot guarantee the color. Each tile will vary in tone and color. This adds to the beauty of the stone, as this is a look which can never be achieved with a man-made product. We will pack your whole order from the same batch, in order to minimize variation as far as possible, but there will still be natural color variation within the batch.
We recommend to dry lay and blend the tiles before installation. This means you can be selective about the tiles you use in certain areas, for example, favored tiles in more prominent areas and others in more discreet locations. It also means that colors can be mixed so it doesn’t leave the floor looking patchy.
- 13. Will my order look the same as my sample?
- We send out samples of the natural stone, to give you a feel for the stone and to give an indication of the color and finish of the tile. However, we do not recommend that you base your entire color scheme on a sample, as colors will vary and it will not show all variation possible in the stone.
As it is a natural product, stone will vary in color. Samples should only be used as a rough guide, as it is hard to give a full idea of what you will receive from a 10cmx10cm sample. Tiles will vary from batch to batch so we cannot give a total overview of the characteristics and colors which may be present in the stone. As a guide, we have a range of images of all of our stone on our website along with a description.
- 14. Do the tiles need sealing?
- Yes, we would recommend sealing natural stone tiles once before and once after grouting. This way, both your stone and grout are protected.
- 15. How often do they need sealing?
- The tiles will need sealing every 3-5 years, depending on traffic.
- 16. How can I clean my stone tiles?
- You cannot use any harsh chemicals to clean the tiles, as this can strip the sealer and damage the stone. The tiles will need regular sweeping and mopping, and as long as they are sealed properly, should be easy to maintain.
- 17. How much should I allow for wastage?
- We recommend allowing at least 10% extra in your measurements, so you have enough for off cuts, damages, wastage and if any tiles have variation that is not to your liking.
- 18. Can I use underfloor heating with natural stone?
- Yes, you can use both wet and electric underfloor heating systems with the natural stone tiles. We recommend to use flexible adhesive and grout and a decoupling membrane, to allow for movement as the floor heats up and cools down.
- 19. How hard wearing is natural stone?
- Whilst there are no guarantees offered with natural stone, as long as the stone is installed and maintained correctly, natural stone should last a lifetime. We advise to use a professional to install the tiles, ensure they are sealed correctly and cleaned with suitable products.
- 20. Is stone high maintenance?
- No. Once installed and sealed correctly stone isn’t high maintenance. You should follow advice on cleaning and maintenance. Some of the natural stone we sell contains filler. Filler is present where natural voids once were and they have been filled at source with a grout or resin. It is perfectly normal that over time holes may appear in filled areas and this is easily rectified with a travertine repair kit.
- 21. Is natural stone porous?
- Yes, all natural stone is slightly porous to different degrees. Luckily, today’s modern silicone sealants help protect the stone very effectively for years to come.
- 22. How much does stone weigh?
- For guidance the weight of stone units should be taken as follows:
10mm thick = 30kg/m2
20mm thick = 60kg/m2
30mm thick = 90kg/m2
- 23. Is this a DIY job?
- Laying a natural stone floor requires specialist equipment such as a diamond wheel to cut the tiles. For the best results, experienced fitters should install natural stone.
- 24. Is special adhesive required?
- Yes. Natural stone tiles should be fixed with an adhesive which is specially developed for natural stone. If you are laying onto a wooden floor or plan to have underfloor heating then you must use a flexible adhesive and grout. If you have a light color stone then you should use a white adhesive and for dark stones you should use a grey adhesive. Your tiler should follow closely all the manufacturer’s instructions for all the products they are using.